Friday, February 10, 2006

The sight that started it

Thirteen years ago, a man named Peter had heard the tragic story of the orphan crisis in Romania and decided he would go there to see for himself. This is an example of what he found. Children left in cribs for most of the day with very little care. It wasn't as if there were no workers but there were just too many children for them to handle. That began in Peter a passion to do something - even if he could only help a few, he had to try.

That was the beginning of CAIRD - an organization that I am proud to work for. Over the past few years, CAIRD has been able to provide many orphaned and abandoned children not only food and clothing but even more importantly - love and compassion - and hope.

And now, for the first time, I will be able to go and see for myself the children that I work for every day. Until now it's been paperwork and phone calls and spreadsheets. I am looking forward to seeing firsthand what my work is all about.

I must say a part of me is a bit nervous about it. It will most likely impact me quite dramatically but it will hopefully be a very positive experience even if overwhelming.

Three months til I fly.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tan said...

can I go with you?

7:11 AM  
Blogger Helen Mueller said...

maybe next time.

10:49 AM  
Blogger agapetos said...

tan, let's sneak in her suitcase? I want to go too! Wow, that's such cool work to be involved in.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Tan said...

sounds good to me.
(to both if you)

1:32 PM  
Blogger Liam J. said...

It's nice when you can work toward a goal to be proud of. It's even better when you get a chance to see the fruits of your labour. Congratulations.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Krista Leddy said...

What?!?! I'm gone for three measly days and all of a sudden you're leaving the country????

The serious part: I'm very happy for you! How long? Who with? What will you be doing there? How about coffee?

7:15 AM  
Blogger Helen Mueller said...

Thanks to Liam

To Vixen:

Yeah - that's what happens when you leave me. I have to get busy and get into a project! I'm going to be gone for 2 weeks. Doris Fech has expressed her desire to go with me so I'm working on that. I will be learning all about our work there and will be helping out with a new property that CAIRD is going to be purchasing in a remote village. It's going to be a church/community center/retreat.

As for coffee - FOR SURE!!! Call me!

10:12 AM  
Blogger KimLiving said...

Yay Helen! This sounds like it should be quite the adventure. Hopefully you'll be able to accomplish a lot and have some significant experiences.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Helen Mueller said...

I think it will be amazing.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home